AMaViS securetar TAR file denial of service
|amavis-securetar-tar-dos (10056)||Medium Risk|
AMaViS is vulnerable to a denial of service attack, caused by a vulnerability in securetar. A remote attacker could send a specially-crafted TAR file to the server to consume 100% of the available CPU resources, which could cause a denial of service against the affected server.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to amavis-perl/amavisd, as listed in the AMaViS Security Announcement 2002-09-05 7:52:29. See References.
- AMaViS Security Announcement 2002-09-05 7:52:29: AMaViS Security Announcement: AMaViS 0.1.x/0.2.x - all shell script.
- AMaViS Web site: AMaViS - A Mail Virus Scanner.
- Gentoo Linux Security Announcement 2002-09-05 10:30 UTC: amavis.
- CVE-2002-1109: securetar, as used in AMaViS shell script 0.2.1 and earlier, allows users to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption) via a malformed TAR file, possibly via an incorrect file size parameter.
- OSVDB ID: 7683: AMaViS securetar Malformed TAR DoS
- amavis.org AMaViS 0.2.1 r2
Sep 05, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this