Apple QuickTime ActiveX plug-inspage buffer overflow
|quicktime-activex-pluginspage-bo (10077)||High Risk|
Apple QuickTime is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper parsing of the "pluginspage" field by the QuickTime ActiveX component, which is used for playing streaming or static media embedded in a Web page. By creating a malicious Web page containing an embedded media file with an overly long "pluginspage" field, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system once the page is viewed by a victim with QuickTime installed. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by hosting the malicious page on a Web site, a network share, or sending it to a victim as an HTML email.
Upgrade to the latest version of QuickTime (6 or later), available from the Apple Web site. See References.
- @stake Inc. Security Advisory A091002-1: Apple QuickTime ActiveX v5.0.2 Buffer Overrun.
- Apple Computer, Inc. Web site: QuickTime Download.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Sep 25 2002 - 13:49:03 CDT: Fwd: QuickTime for Windows ActiveX security advisory.
- CIAC Information Bulletin M-128: Apple QuickTime ActiveX Buffer Overrun.
- BID-5685: Apple QuickTime ActiveX Component Buffer Overrun Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0376: Buffer overflow in Apple QuickTime 5.0 ActiveX component allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long pluginspage field.
- OSVDB ID: 9341: Apple QuickTime ActiveX pluginspace Field Remote Overflow
- Apple QuickTime 5.0.2
Sep 10, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this