Cisco VPN 5000 Client software close_tunnel and open_tunnel binary buffer overflow
|cisco-vpn5000-binary-bo (10131)||High Risk|
Cisco Virtual Private Network (VPN) 5000 Client for Linux is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the close_tunnel and in the open_tunnel binary. A local attacker, with a valid VPN account, could overflow a buffer and gain root privileges on the system.
For Cisco VPN 5000 Client for Linux versions prior to 5.2.7:
Upgrade to the latest version of Cisco VPN 5000 Client software for Linux (5.2.7 or later), as listed in Cisco Security Advisory 2002 September 18 08:00 (UTC -0800). See References.
For Cisco VPN 5000 Client for Solaris versions prior to 5.2.8:
Upgrade to the latest version of Cisco VPN 5000 Client software for Linux (5.2.8 or later), as listed in Cisco Security Advisory 2002 September 18 08:00 (UTC -0800). See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Sep 18 2002 - 10:41:53 CDT : Cisco VPN 5000 client buffer overflow vulnerabilities..
- Cisco Systems Inc. Security Advisory, 2002 September 18 08:00 (UTC -0800): Cisco VPN 5000 Client Multiple Vulnerabilities.
- BID-5734: Cisco VPN 5000 Client Buffer Overrun Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2002-1492: Buffer overflows in the Cisco VPN 5000 Client before 5.2.7 for Linux, and VPN 5000 Client before 5.2.8 for Solaris, allow local users to gain root privileges via (1) close_tunnel and (2) open_tunnel.
- OSVDB ID: 8878: Cisco VPN 5000 Client Multiple Function Overflows
- Cisco VPN 5000 Client 5.2.6
- Cisco VPN 5000 Client 5.2.7
Sep 18, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this