Microsoft Virtual Machine (VM) JDBC classes can execute local DLLs
|msvm-jdbc-dll-execution (10133)||High Risk|
Microsoft Virtual Machine (VM) could allow a remote attacker to load and execute a local Dynamic Link Library (DLL), caused by a vulnerability regarding the handling of specially-crafted requests by the Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) classes. A remote attacker could create a malicious Java Applet that would call the vulnerable JDBC function that handles DLL requests, and use it to load and execute any DLL on a victim's system. This could allow the attacker to potentially gain complete control over the victim's system, depending on the functionality of the DLL that is being executed. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by hosting the malicious Java Applet on a Web site or by sending it to a potential victim within an HTML email.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011. See References.
To determine the build number installed on your system, follow the steps listed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-069 FAQ.
Note: Microsoft originally provided a patch for this vulnerability in MS02-052, but it was superseded by the patch released with MS02-069, which was superseded by the patch released with MS03-011.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Sep 23 2002 - 06:39:22 CDT: Technical information about the vulnerabilities fixed by MS-02-52.
- CIAC Information Bulletin M-126: Microsoft VM JDBC Classes Vulnerabilities.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Mon Sep 09 2002 - 07:39:46 CDT: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft's Java implementation .
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-052: Flaw in Microsoft VM JDBC Classes Could Allow Code Execution (Q329077).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-069: Flaw in Microsoft VM Could Enable System Compromise (810030).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011: Flaw in Microsoft VM Could Enable System Compromise (816093).
- BID-5748: Microsoft Virtual Machine Multiple JDBC Vulnerabilities
- BID-5751: Microsoft Virtual Machine JDBC Class Code Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0866: Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) classes in Microsoft Virtual Machine (VM) up to and including 5.0.3805 allow remote attackers to load and execute DLLs (dynamic link libraries) via a Java applet that calls the constructor for com.ms.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc with the desired DLL terminated by a null string, aka DLL Execution via JDBC Classes.
- OSVDB ID: 11912: Microsoft Virtual Machine JDBC Java Applet Arbitrary DLL Load
- US-CERT VU#307306: Microsoft Java implementation JDBC classes do not properly validate DLL requests
- Microsoft Java Virtual Machine 5.0.3805
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Sep 18, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this