Microsoft Virtual Machine (VM) JDBC handle validation could crash Internet Explorer
|msvm-jdbc-ie-dos (10134)||Low Risk|
Microsoft Virtual Machine (VM) could allow a remote attacker to crash Internet Explorer, caused by a vulnerability regarding improper validation of handle data by the Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) classes. A remote attacker could create a malicious Java Applet that would supply malicious handle data to the JDBC function, which would cause Internet Explorer to fail when the malicious Applet is loaded. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by hosting the malicious Java Applet on a Web site or by sending it to a potential victim within an HTML email.
Note: It is unknown whether this vulnerability could also be exploited to execute arbitrary code on the victim's system.
Denial of Service
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011. See References.
To determine the build number installed on your system, follow the steps listed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-069 FAQ.
Note: Microsoft originally provided a patch for this vulnerability in MS02-052, but it was superseded by the patch released with MS02-069, which was superseded by the patch released with MS03-011.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Sep 23 2002 - 06:39:22 CDT: Technical information about the vulnerabilities fixed by MS-02-52.
- CIAC Information Bulletin M-126: Microsoft VM JDBC Classes Vulnerabilities.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Mon Sep 09 2002 - 07:39:46 CDT: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft's Java implementation .
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-052: Flaw in Microsoft VM JDBC Classes Could Allow Code Execution (Q329077).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-069: Flaw in Microsoft VM Could Enable System Compromise (810030).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011: Flaw in Microsoft VM Could Enable System Compromise (816093).
- BID-5748: Microsoft Virtual Machine Multiple JDBC Vulnerabilities
- BID-5750: Microsoft Virtual Machine Handle Validation Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0867: Microsoft Virtual Machine (VM) up to and including build 5.0.3805 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) in Internet Explorer via invalid handle data in a Java applet, aka Handle Validation Flaw.
- OSVDB ID: 14446: Microsoft Virtual Machine Java Applet Invalid Handle DoS
- US-CERT VU#792881: Microsoft Java implementation JDBC functions do not properly validate parameters
- Microsoft Java Virtual Machine 5.0.3805
Sep 18, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this