Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions (FPSE) 2002 SmartHTML Interpreter buffer overflow
|fpse-smarthtml-interpreter-bo (10195)||High Risk|
Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions (FPSE) are vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by a vulnerability in the FPSE SmartHTML Interpreter. By sending a malformed file request to the vulnerable Web server, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer in the SmartHTML Interpreter and execute code on the Web server with SYSTEM level privileges.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-051. See References.
Note: Microsoft originally provided a patch for this vulnerability in MS02-053, but it was superseded by the patch released with MS03-051.
For FrontPage Server Extensions 2002:
Microsoft originally released a patch for this vulnerability with MS02-053, but it was superseded by the patch released with MS03-051, and then superseded by the patch released MS06-017. See References.
- CIAC Information Bulletin M-129: Microsoft FrontPage SmartHTML Interpreter Vulnerability.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Fri Sep 27 2002 - 08:07:51 CDT: Buffer Overrun in SmartHTML Interpreter Could Allow Code Executio n (Q324096).
- Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 324096: MS02-053: Request to SmartHTML Interpreter May Monopolize Web Server CPU Resources.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 329085: FP2000: FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions Security Update: September 25, 2002.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 329086: FP2002: FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions Security Update: September 25, 2002.
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-053: Buffer Overrun in SmartHTML Interpreter Could Allow Code Execution (Q324096).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-051: Buffer Overrun in Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions Could Allow Code Execution (813360).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-017: Vulnerability in Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions Could Allow Cross-Site Scripting (917627).
- BID-5804: Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions SmartHTML Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0692: Buffer overflow in SmartHTML Interpreter (shtml.dll) in Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions (FPSE) 2000 and 2002 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption) or run arbitrary code, respectively, via a certain type of web file request.
- US-CERT VU#723537: Microsoft SmartHTML interpreter (shtml.dll) contains vulnerability
- Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions 2002
Sep 25, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this