WatchGuard Firebox and Legacy RSSA Vclass CLI -N login administrative privileges
|firebox-vclass-cli-admin-privileges (10218)||High Risk|
WatchGuard Firebox and Legacy RSSA (RapidStream) security appliances running Vclass software could allow a remote attacker to gain administrative privileges on the system. This vulnerability is caused by the CLI (command line interface) binary failing to close a connection, if an administrative user has logged in with the -N option, which would allow an attacker to gain access to the CLI with administrative privileges.
For Firebox and Legacy RSSA appliances running Vclass software:
Apply Vclass 3.2 Hotfix 2, as listed in the BugTraq Mailing List posting dated Fri Sep 27 2002 - 16:16:16 CDT. See References.
For Legacy RSSA appliances not running Vclass software:
Apply RSSA Appliance v. 3.0.2 Hotfix 31, as listed in the BugTraq Mailing List posting dated Fri Sep 27 2002 - 16:16:16 CDT. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Sep 27 2002 - 16:16:16 CDT : Software Update Available for Legacy RapidStream Appliances and W atchGuard Firebox Vclass appliances .
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Sep 26 2002 - 22:20:32 CDT: Watchguard firewall appliances security issues .
- WatchGuard Web site: Support: Legacy RapidStream Software.
- WatchGuard Web site: Log In: WatchGuard LiveSecurity Service.
- BID-5815: WatchGuard Firebox VClass CLI Interface Improperly Terminated Connection Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1520: The CLI interface for WatchGuard Firebox Vclass 3.2 and earlier, and RSSA Appliance 3.0.2, does not properly close the SSH connection when a -N option is provided during authentication, which allows remote attackers to access CLI with administrator privileges.
- OSVDB ID: 4831: WatchGuard FireBox Vclass/RSSA Login Input Validation
- WatchGuard WatchGuard Firebox V10
- WatchGuard WatchGuard Firebox V100
- WatchGuard WatchGuard Firebox V60
- WatchGuard WatchGuard Firebox V80
- WatchGuard WatchGuard RapidStream 2000
- WatchGuard WatchGuard RapidStream 4000
- WatchGuard WatchGuard RapidStream 500
- WatchGuard WatchGuard RapidStream 6000
- WatchGuard WatchGuard RapidStream 8000
Sep 26, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this