Bugzilla editproducts.cgi "usebuggroups" permissions leak
|bugzilla-usebuggroups-permissions-leak (10233)||Medium Risk|
A vulnerability in Bugzilla could allow groups to inherit incorrect permissions. If the "usebuggroups" option is enabled and a user updates a product using the editproducts.cgi, the incorrect group_id would be assigned to the new group. This could allow members of the new group to gain access to the privileges of all lower level groups.
Upgrade to the latest version of Bugzilla (2.14.4 or later) or (2.16.1 or later), as listed in Bugzilla Security Advisory October 1st, 2002. See References.
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Upgrade to the latest bugzilla package, as listed below. Refer to DSA-173-1 for more information. See References.
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody): 2.14.2-0woody2 or later
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Bugzilla Security Advisory October 1st, 2002: Bugzilla Security Advisory for v2.14.3 and v2.16.
- Bugzilla Web site: Bug 167485 - When "usebuggroups" is on, then assigning of group_id is in error.
- Bugzilla Web site: Bugzilla Project - Download.
- BID-5843: Bugzilla Group Creation With Elevated Privileges Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1196: editproducts.cgi in Bugzilla 2.14.x before 2.14.4, and 2.16.x before 2.16.1, when the usebuggroups feature is enabled and more than 47 groups are specified, does not properly calculate bit values for large numbers, which grants extra permissions to users via known features of Perl math that set multiple bits.
- DSA-173: bugzilla -- privilege escalation
- OSVDB ID: 6355: Bugzilla editproducts.cgi usebuggroups Privilege Escalation
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- Mozilla Bugzilla 2.14
- Mozilla Bugzilla 2.14.1
- Mozilla Bugzilla 2.14.2
- Mozilla Bugzilla 2.14.3
- Mozilla Bugzilla 2.16
Oct 01, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this