FreeBSD/NetBSD Rogue saved game buffer overflow
|bsd-rogue-bo (10261)||High Risk|
Rogue is vulnerable to a buffer overflow. By creating a malicious saved Rogue game file and calling this file with an overly long parameter, a local attacker could overflow a buffer and execute code on the system with setgid game privileges.
Upgrade to the latest version of NetBSD-current (dated 2002-10-02 or later), as listed in NetBSD Security Advisory 2002-021. See References.
For NetBSD 1.6:
Upgrade to the latest version of NetBSD 1.6 (dated 2002-10-03 or later), as listed in NetBSD Security Advisory 2002-021. See References.
For NetBSD 1.5, 1.5.1, 1.5.2, and 1.5.3:
Upgrade to the latest version of the NetBSD 1.5 branch (dated 2002-10-03 or later), as listed in NetBSD Security Advisory 2002-021. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sat Sep 28 2002 - 13:57:18 CDT : local exploitable overflow in rogue/FreeBSD .
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Tue Oct 08 2002 - 00:28:24 CDT: rogue vulnerability. (From Full-Disclosure Mailing List archive)
- BID-5837: Rogue Local Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1192: Multiple buffer overflows in rogue on NetBSD 1.6 and earlier, FreeBSD 4.6, and possibly other operating systems, allows local users to gain games group privileges via malformed entries in a game save file.
- OSVDB ID: 6098: Multiple BSD Rogue Game Multiple Overflows
- SA7181: FreeBSD local privilege escalation
- SA7252: NetBSD updates to fix issues in rogue
- FreeBSD FreeBSD 4.6
- Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman Rogue 5.3
- NetBSD NetBSD 1.5
- NetBSD NetBSD 1.5.1
- NetBSD NetBSD 1.5.2
- NetBSD NetBSD 1.5.3
- NetBSD NetBSD 1.6
Sep 28, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this