Apache HTTP Server shared memory scorecard overwrite
|apache-scorecard-memory-overwrite (10280)||Low Risk|
Apache HTTP Server is vulnerable to a denial of service attack, caused by a vulnerability in the shared memory scorecard. A local attacker with privileges of the Apache UID could send a SIGUSR1 signal to any process as root to cause a denial of service against the system.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of Apache HTTP Server (1.3.27 or later), available from the Apache Web site. See References.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- Apache HTTP Server Project Web site: Welcome! - The Apache HTTP Server Project.
- Apache Web site: Apache 1.3.27 Released.
- ApacheWeek, Issue 311, 4th October 2002: Security Reports.
- CIAC Information Bulletin N-005: Apache 1.3.27 HTTP Server Release.
- CIAC Information Bulletin N-005: Apache 1.3.27 HTTP Server Release [REVISED 7 July 2004].
- Conectiva Linux Announcement CLSA-2002:530: DoS and other vulnerabilities.
- Gentoo Linux Security Annoucement 2002-10-15 08:25 UTC: shared memory scoreboard vulnerabilities.
- iDEFENSE Security Advisory 10.03.2002 : Apache 1.3.x shared memory scoreboard vulnerabilities .
- Oracle Security Alert #45: Security Release of Apache 1.3.27.
- SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2002-056.0: Linux: apache vulnerabilities in shared memory, DNS, and ApacheBench.
- SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2003-SCO.10.1: OpenServer 5.0.5 OpenServer 5.0.6 : Various security fixes for Apach. (From LinuxSecurity archive)
- BID-5884: Apache Web Server Scoreboard Memory Segment Overwriting SIGUSR1 Sending Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0839: The shared memory scoreboard in the HTTP daemon for Apache 1.3.x before 1.3.27 allows any user running as the Apache UID to send a SIGUSR1 signal to any process as root, resulting in a denial of service (process kill) or possibly other behaviors that would not normally be allowed, by modifying the parent.pid and parent.last_rtime segments in the scoreboard.
- DSA-187: apache -- several vulnerabilities
- DSA-188: apache-ssl -- several vulnerabilities
- DSA-195: apache-perl -- several vulnerabilities
- MDKSA-2002:068: Updated apache packages fix multiple vulnerabilities
- MDKSA-2002:068-1: Updated apache packages fix multiple vulnerabilities
- MDKSA-2003:024: Updated packages fix multiple vulnerabilities
- OpenPKG-SA-2002.009: Apache
- RHSA-2002-222: Updated apache
- RHSA-2002-248: apache
- RHSA-2002-251: apache security update
- RHSA-2003-106: Updated apache and mod_ssl packages available
- Apache HTTP Server 1.3.19
- Apache HTTP Server 1.3.20
- Apache HTTP Server 1.3.22
- Apache HTTP Server 1.3.23
- Apache HTTP Server 1.3.24
- Apache HTTP Server 1.3.25
- Apache HTTP Server 1.3.26
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS
- RedHat Linux Advanced Workstation 2.1 Itanium
- RedHat Stronghold
Oct 03, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this