Microsoft Outlook Express S/MIME certificate buffer overflow
|outlook-smime-bo (10338)||High Risk|
Microsoft Outlook Express is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the handling of S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) digitally signed messages. By sending a malicious email with a malformed S/MIME certificate to an Outlook Express client, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and cause Outlook Express to crash or execute code on the system with the privileges of the Outlook Express user, once the message is opened or viewed in the preview pane.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in the latest Microsoft Security Bulletin. See References.
— OR —
Use Microsoft Automatic Update if it is supported by your operating system. The original bulletin issued by Microsoft has been superseded.
- CIAC Information Bulletin N-007: Microsoft Outlook Express Unchecked Buffer in S/MIME Vulnerability.
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-058: Unchecked Buffer in Outlook Express S/MIME Parsing Could Enable System Compromise (Q328676).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-014: Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-013: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (837009).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-018: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (823353).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-016: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (911567).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-076: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (923694).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-034: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express and Windows Mail (929123).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-056: Security Update for Outlook Express and Windows Mail (941202).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-048: Security Update for Outlook Express and Windows Mail (951066).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-030: Vulnerability in Outlook Express and Windows Mail Could Allow Remote Code Execution (978542).
- NTBugTraq Mailing List, 2002-10-11 0:33:34: Re: Problems applying MS02-058.
- SecuriTeam Mailing List, Security Holes & Exploits 29 Jan 2003: Outlook Remote Code Execution in Preview Pane (S/MIME, PoC).
- SecuriTeam Mailing List, Windows NT focus 10 Oct 2002: Outlook Remote Code Execution in Preview Pane (S/MIME).
- BID-5944: Microsoft Outlook Express S/MIME Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1179: Buffer overflow in the S/MIME Parsing capability in Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 and 6.0 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a digitally signed email with a long From address, which triggers the overflow when the user views or previews the message.
- OSVDB ID: 11422: Microsoft Outlook Express S/MIME Parsing Routine Remote Overflow
- Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5
- Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
Oct 10, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this