Simple, secure webserver malformed URL denial of service
|simple-webserver-url-dos (10364)||Medium Risk|
Simple, secure webserver is vulnerable to a denial of service attack. A remote attacker could connect to the Web server and request a malformed URL to cause the Web server to become unavailable for a lengthy period of time, denying service to other users on the network.
Denial of Service
Apply the Hotfix for this vulnerability, as listed in Symantec Security Response Advisory October 13, 2002. See References.
As a workaround, disable Simple, secure webserver.
- Advanced IT-Security Advisory #01-10-2002: Symantec Firewall Secure Webserver timeout DoS.
- BugTraq Mailing List, 2002-10-14 19:06:48: Multiple Symantec Firewall Secure Webserver timeout DoS.
- Symantec Security Response Advisory October 13, 2002: Symantec Firewall Secure Webserver timeout DoS.
- BID-5958: Multiple Symantec HTTP Proxy Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0990: The web proxy component in Symantec Enterprise Firewall (SEF) 6.5.2 through 7.0, Raptor Firewall 6.5 and 6.5.3, VelociRaptor, and Symantec Gateway Security allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service (connection resource exhaustion) via multiple connection requests to domains whose DNS server is unresponsive or does not exist, which generates a long timeout.
- OSVDB ID: 4708: Symantec Enterprise Firewall Unresolvable DNS DoS
- Symantec Enterprise Firewall 6.5.2
- Symantec Enterprise Firewall 7.0
- Symantec Gateway Security 5110
- Symantec Raptor Firewall 6.5
- Symantec Raptor Firewall 6.5.3
- Symantec VelociRaptor 1000
- Symantec VelociRaptor 1100
- Symantec VelociRaptor 1200
- Symantec VelociRaptor 1300
- Symantec VelociRaptor 500
- Symantec VelociRaptor 700
Oct 14, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this