Microsoft SQL Server Web tasks could allow elevated privileges
|mssql-webtask-gain-privileges (10388)||Medium Risk|
Microsoft SQL Server 2000, Microsoft Desktop Engine (MSDE) 2000, Microsoft SQL Server 7.0, and Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE) 1.0 could allow a remote attacker to gain elevated privileges, caused by insecure permissions on the extended stored procedure xp_runwebtask and the table that stores Web tasks in the database msdb.dbo.mswebtasks. A remote attacker with limited SQL Server database privileges could access the xp_runwebtask extended stored procedure and use it to update a Web task owned by the SQL Server administrator, which would allow the attacker to gain SYSADMIN privileges, or modify, delete, or add new Web tasks that would be executed with elevated privileges.
Note: This vulnerability also affects Cisco CallManager version 3.3(x), Cisco Unity versions 3.x and 4.x, and Cisco Building Broadband Service Manager versions 5.0 and 5.1, which incorporate the use of either SQL Server 2000 or MSDE 2000.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-031. See References.
Note: Microsoft originally provided a patch for this vulnerability in MS02-061, but it was superseded by the patch released with MS03-031.
For Cisco CallManager, Cisco Unity, and Cisco Building Broadband Service Manager: Refer to Cisco Security Advisory 2003 January 26 05:30 GMT for upgrade or patch information. See References.
- CIAC Information Bulletin N-008: Microsoft Elevation of Privilege in SQL Server Web Tasks.
- cisco-sa-20030126-ms02-061: Cisco Security Advisory: Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Vulnerabilities in Cisco Products - MS02-061.
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-061: Elevation of Privilege in SQL Server Web Tasks (Q316333).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-031: Cumulative Patch for Microsoft SQL Server (815495).
- NGSSoftware Insight Security Research Advisory #NISR17102002: Microsoft SQL Server Webtasks privilege elevation.
- SQLSecurity.com Web site: SQL Server/MSDE-Based Applications.
- BID-5980: Microsoft SQL Server Web Task Stored Procedure Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1145: The xp_runwebtask stored procedure in the Web Tasks component of Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 and 2000, Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE) 1.0, and Microsoft Desktop Engine (MSDE) 2000 can be executed by PUBLIC, which allows an attacker to gain privileges by updating a webtask that is owned by the database owner through the msdb.dbo.mswebtasks table, which does not have strong permissions.
- OSVDB ID: 10127: Microsoft SQL Server xp_runwebtask Procedure Privilege Escalation
- Cisco Building Broadband Service Manager 5.0
- Cisco Building Broadband Service Manager 5.1
- Cisco Unified CallManager 3.3
- Cisco Unity Server 3.0
- Cisco Unity Server 4.0
- Microsoft Data Engine 1.0
- Microsoft Data Engine 2000
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000
- Microsoft SQL Server 7.0
Oct 16, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this