IBM Web Traffic Express (WTE) /cgi-bin/helpout.exe denial of service
|ibm-wte-helpout-dos (10452)||Medium Risk|
IBM Web Traffic Express (WTE) is vulnerable to a denial of service attack. If a remote attacker sends a specially-crafted HTTP request to the /cgi-bin/helpout.exe file, the attacker would cause the proxy server (ibmproxy.exe) to crash.
Denial of Service
For IBM Web Traffic Express 4.x:
Apply efix build 220.127.116.11 or later, available from the IBM FTP site. Refer to Rapid 7, Inc. Security Advisory R7-0007 for more information. See References.
For IBM Web Traffic Express 3.6:
Contact IBM Technical Support for information on obtaining an upgrade or patch. See References.
- IBM Web site: WebSphere Edge Server - Product Overview - IBM Software.
- IBM Web site: IBM Support & downloads - United States.
- Rapid 7, Inc. Security Advisory R7-0007: IBM WebSphere Edge Server Caching Proxy Denial of Service.
- BID-6002: IBM Websphere Caching Proxy Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1169: IBM Web Traffic Express Caching Proxy Server 3.6 and 4.x before 18.104.22.168 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via an HTTP request to helpout.exe with a missing HTTP version number, which causes ibmproxy.exe to crash.
- OSVDB ID: 2090: IBM WebSphere Caching Proxy DoS
- IBM WebSphere Caching Proxy Server 3.6
- IBM WebSphere Caching Proxy Server 4.0
Oct 23, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this