Cisco ONS TCC, TCC+, and XTC database stores usernames and passwords in plain text
|cisco-ons-plaintext-accounts (10506)||Medium Risk|
Cisco ONS15454 optical transport hardware and Cisco ONS15327 edge optical transport hardware running Cisco ONS software stores usernames and passwords in plain text in the TCC, TCC+, or XTC interface's running image database. A remote or local attacker with access to the backup of the database could recover the usernames and passwords, including that of the administrator, and use them to gain control of the Cisco ONS platform.
Refer to Cisco Security Advisory 2002 October 31 at 1600 UTC for workaround information or information on obtaining a software upgrade. See References.
- Cisco Systems Inc. Security Advisory, 2002 October 31 at 1600 UTC: Cisco ONS15454 and Cisco ONS15327 Vulnerabilities.
- BID-6073: Cisco ONS15454/ONS15327 Optical Transport Platforms Multiple Vulnerabilities
- BID-6078: Cisco ONS15454/ONS15327 Optical Transport Platforms Plaintext Credentials Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1554: Cisco ONS15454 and ONS15327 running ONS before 3.4 stores usernames and passwords in cleartext in the image database for the TCC, TCC+ or XTC, which could allow attackers to gain privileges by obtaining the passwords from the image database or a backup.
- OSVDB ID: 8924: Cisco ONS Image Database/Backup Password Disclosure
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.0
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.1
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.2
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.3
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.0
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.1.0
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.2.0
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.3
Oct 31, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this