Cisco ONS default "public" community string cannot be changed
|cisco-ons-snmp-public (10507)||Medium Risk|
Cisco ONS15454 optical transport hardware and Cisco ONS15327 edge optical transport hardware running Cisco ONS software has a default "public" Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) community string. If a remote attacker could connect to the TCC, TCC+, or XTC interface's SNMP port, the attacker could use the community string to gain unauthorized access to the SNMP MIBs to obtain sensitive information. This information could then be used to launch further attacks against the affected device.
Refer to Cisco Security Advisory 2002 October 31 at 1600 UTC for workaround information or information on obtaining a software upgrade. See References.
- Cisco Systems Inc. Security Advisory, 2002 October 31 at 1600 UTC: Cisco ONS15454 and Cisco ONS15327 Vulnerabilities.
- BID-6073: Cisco ONS15454/ONS15327 Optical Transport Platforms Multiple Vulnerabilities
- BID-6081: Cisco ONS15454/ONS15327 Optical Transport Platforms Public SNMP Community String Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1555: Cisco ONS15454 and ONS15327 running ONS before 3.4 uses a public SNMP community string that cannot be changed, which allows remote attackers to obtain sensitive information.
- OSVDB ID: 8939: Cisco ONS Default Public Unchangeable SNMP String
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.0
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.1
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.2
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.3
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.0
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.1.0
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.2.0
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.3
Oct 31, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this