Cisco ONS has a default VxWorks account
|cisco-ons-default-vsworks-account (10510)||High Risk|
Cisco ONS15454 optical transport hardware and Cisco ONS15327 edge optical transport hardware running Cisco ONS software has a default VxWorks account that cannot be changed or deleted. A remote attacker with knowledge of this account could establish a Telnet connection to the TCC, TCC+, or XTC interface to gain access to the VxWorks operating system and gain control over the Cisco ONS platform.
Refer to Cisco Security Advisory 2002 October 31 at 1600 UTC for workaround information or information on obtaining a software upgrade. See References.
- Cisco Systems Inc. Security Advisory, 2002 October 31 at 1600 UTC: Cisco ONS15454 and Cisco ONS15327 Vulnerabilities.
- BID-6073: Cisco ONS15454/ONS15327 Optical Transport Platforms Multiple Vulnerabilities
- BID-6083: Cisco ONS15454/ONS15327 Optical Transport Platforms Default Account Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1558: Cisco ONS15454 and ONS15327 running ONS before 3.4 have an account for the VxWorks Operating System in the TCC, TCC+ and XTC that cannot be changed or disabled, which allows remote attackers to gain privileges by connecting to the account via Telnet.
- OSVDB ID: 8927: Cisco ONS VxWorks Operating System Default Account
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.0
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.1
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.2
- Cisco ONS 15327 3.3
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.0
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.1.0
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.2.0
- Cisco ONS 15454 Optical Transport Platform 3.3
Oct 31, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this