KDE kdenetwork lan:// URL handler buffer overflow
|kde-kdenetwork-lan-bo (10598)||High Risk|
The LISa LAN (Local Area Network) browsing tool included in the kdenetwork package in the K Desktop Environment (KDE) is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the lan:// URL handler, which is used to access LISa. By creating a specially-crafted lan:// URL request and sending it to a victim within an HTML email or Web page, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and gain access to the victim's account, once the link is clicked.
Upgrade to the latest version of KDE (3.0.5 or later), as listed in KDE Security Advisory 2002-11-11. See References.
Upgrade to the latest version of LISa (0.2.2 or later), available from the LISa Web site. See References.
For SuSE Linux:
Upgrade to the latest kdenetwork packages, as listed below. Refer to SuSE Security Announcement SuSE-SA:2002:042 for more information. See References.
SuSE 7.3 (Intel): 2.2.1-101 or later
SuSE 7.2 (Intel): 2.1.1-154 or later
SuSE 7.3 (Sparc): 2.2.1-50 or later
SuSE 7.3 (Power PPC): 2.2.1-88 or later
For Mandrake Linux:
Upgrade to the latest kdenetwork package, as listed below. Refer to MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2002:080 : kdenetwork for more information. See References.
Mandrake Linux 9.0: 3.0.3-15.1mdk or later
For Red Hat Linux containing the kde package:
Upgrade to the latest kde package, as listed below. Refer to Red Hat Security Advisory RHSA-2002:220-40 for more information. See References.
Red Hat Linux 7.2: 2.2.2-3 or later
Red Hat Linux 7.3: 1.0.3-0.7.1 or later
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Upgrade to the latest kdenetwork package, as listed below. Refer to DSA-214-1 for more information. See References.
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody): 2.2.2-14.5 or later
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- CIAC Information Bulletin N-020: Red Hat Multiple Vulnerabilities in KDE.
- KDE Security Advisory 2002-11-11: resLISa / LISa Vulnerabilities.
- KDE Web site: Getting KDE.
- LISa Web site: LISa - LAN Information Server.
- CVE-2002-1306: Multiple buffer overflows in LISa on KDE 2.x for 2.1 and later, and KDE 3.x before 3.0.4, allow (1) local and possibly remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via the lisa daemon, and (2) remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a certain lan:// URL.
- DSA-214: kdenetwork -- buffer overflows
- MDKSA-2002:080: Updated kdenetwork packages fix remote command execution vulnerabilites
- RHSA-2002-220: Updated KDE packages fix security issues
- RHSA-2002-221: kdelibs security update
- SUSE-SA:2002:042: kdenetwork: remote command execution
- Alexander Neundorf LISa prior to 0.2.2
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- KDE KDE prior to 3.0.5
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 9.0
- Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 7.0
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- RedHat Linux 8.0
- SuSE SuSE eMail Server 3.1
- SuSE SuSE eMail Server III
- SUSE SuSE Linux 7.2
- SUSE SuSE Linux 7.3
- SUSE SuSE Linux 8.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 8.1
- SuSE SuSE Linux Connectivity Server
- SuSE SuSE Linux Office Server
Nov 11, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this