KDE kdelib KIO rlogin:// URL handler remote shell command execution
|kde-rlogin-command-execution (10602)||High Risk|
A vulnerability in the rlogin implementation in K Desktop Environment (KDE) could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary commands on the system. By creating a malicious rlogin:// URL containing arbitrary shell commands and sending it to a victim within an HTML email or Web page, a remote attacker could execute arbitrary commands on the system with the same privileges of the victim, once the link is clicked.
Upgrade to the latest version of KDE (3.0.5 or later), as listed in KDE Security Advisory 2002-11-11. See References.
Apply the appropriate patch for this vulnerability, as listed in KDE Security Advisory 2002-11-11. See References.
For Gentoo Linux:
Upgrade versions kde-base/kdelibs-3.0.4 and earlier, as listed in Gentoo Linux Security 200211-004 Announcement. See References.
For Red Hat Linux containing the kde package:
Upgrade to the latest kde package, as listed below. Refer to Red Hat Security Advisory RHSA-2002:220-40 for more information. See References.
Red Hat Linux 7.3: 1.0.3-0.7.1 or later
Red Hat Linux 8.0: 3.0.3-8.3 or later
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Upgrade to the latest kdelibs package, as listed below. Refer to DSA 204-1 for more information. See References.
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody): 2.2.2-13.woody.5 or later
For Caldera OpenLinux 3.1 and 3.1.1 (Workstation and Server): Upgrade to the latest kdelibs2 packages (2.2.1-6.3 or later), as listed in Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2003-012.0. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- CIAC Information Bulletin N-020: Red Hat Multiple Vulnerabilities in KDE.
- Gentoo Linux Security Announcement 200211-004: rlogin.protocol and telnet.protocol URL KIO Vulnerability resLISa / LISa Vulnerabilities.
- KDE Security Advisory 2002-11-11: rlogin.protocol and telnet.protocol URL KIO Vulnerability.
- KDE Web site: Getting KDE.
- SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2003-012.0: Linux: KDE rlogin.protocol and telnet.protocol url kio Vulnerability.
- BID-6182: KDE KIO Subsystem Network Protocol Implementation Arbitrary Command Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1281: Unknown vulnerability in the rlogin KIO subsystem (rlogin.protocol) of KDE 2.x 2.1 and later, and KDE 3.x 3.0.4 and earlier, allows local and remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a certain URL.
- DSA-204: kdelibs -- arbitrary program execution
- MDKSA-2002:079: Updated kdelibs packages fix remote command execution vulnerabilites
- OSVDB ID: 12996: KDE KIO Subsystem rlogin Arbitrary Remote Command Execution
- RHSA-2002-220: Updated KDE packages fix security issues
- SA8298: OpenLinux update to kdelibs
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- Gentoo Linux
- KDE KDE prior to 3.0.5
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- RedHat Linux 8.0
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Server 3.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Server 3.1.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1.1
Nov 11, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this