DHCP client daemon dhcpcd .info file command execution
|dhcpcd-info-execute-commands (10663)||High Risk|
dhcpcd could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary commands on the system, caused by a vulnerability in the .info file. dhcpcd fails to properly filter shell metacharacters. A remote attacker in control of a malicious DHCP server could supply a specially-crafted command to the vulnerable dhcpcd client to execute arbitrary commands on the system with root privileges.
Upgrade to the latest version of dhcpcd (1.3.22-p13 or later), available from the dhcpcd Download Web page. See References.
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Upgrade to the latest dhcpcd package, as listed below. Refer to DSA-219-1 for more information. See References.
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (potato): 1.3.17pl2-8.1 or later
For Gentoo Linux:
Upgrade versions net-misc/dhcpcd-1.3.20_p0-r1 or earlier, as listed in Gentoo Linux Security Announcement 200301-3 See References.
For Mandrake Linux:
Upgrade to the latest dhcpcd package, as listed below. Refer to MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2001:003:dhcpcd for more information. See References.
Mandrake Linux 7.2, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 9.0, Multi Network Firewall 8.2, and Single Network Firewall 7.2: 1.3.22pl4-1.1mdk or later
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Conectiva Linux Announcement CLSA-2002:549: Characters expansion vulnerability.
- dhcpcd changelog Web site: http://www.phystech.com/download/dhcpcd_changelog.html.
- dhcpcd Download Web site: dhcpcd-1.3.
- Gentoo Linux Security Announcement 200301-3: dhcpcd -- remote command execution.
- BID-6200: DHCPCD Character Expansion Remote Command Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1403: dhcpcd DHCP client daemon 1.3.22 and earlier allows local users to execute arbitrary code via shell metacharacters that are fed from a dhcpd .info script into a .exe script.
- DSA-219: dhcpcd -- remote command execution
- MDKSA-2003:003: Updated dhcpcd packages fix character expansion vulnerability
- OSVDB ID: 16011: dhcpcd DHCP Client Daemon .info File Command Execution
- Debian Debian Linux 2.2
- Gentoo Linux
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 7.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 9.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Multi Network Firewall 8.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Single Network Firewall 7.2
- PhysTech DHCPd prior to 1.3.22-p12
Nov 18, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this