iPlanet (Sun ONE) Web Server admin error log cross-site scripting
|iplanet-admin-log-xss (10692)||Medium Risk|
iPlanet Web Server (now known as Sun ONE Web Server) is vulnerable to cross-site scripting in the iPlanet Admin Server. A remote attacker could cause malicious script to be written to the Admin Server error logs. When the iPlanet administrator views the error logs, the embedded script would then be executed with the same privileges as the administrator.
Note: It may be possible to use this vulnerability in conjunction with another iPlanet vulnerability to gain root privileges on the server.
No remedy available as of May 1, 2013.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Nov 18 2002 - 21:58:26 CST: iPlanet WebServer, remote root compromise.
- Next Generation Security Technologies Security Advisory NGSEC-2002-4: iPlanet WebServer, remote root compromise.
- Sun Alert ID: 49475: Security Vulnerabilities with Sun ONE Web Server 4.1SP11 and Earlier.
- Sun Microsystems Web site: Sun ONE Web Server - Overview.
- BID-6202: iPlanet Admin Server Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-1315: Cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability in the Admin Server for iPlanet WebServer 4.x, up to SP11, allows remote attackers to execute web script or HTML as the iPlanet administrator by injecting the desired script into error logs, and possibly escalating privileges by using the XSS vulnerability in conjunction with another issue (CVE-2002-1316).
- OSVDB ID: 14523: Sun iPlanet WebServer Admin Server Error Log XSS
- OSVDB ID: 14524: iPlanet WebServer Admin Server Perl Script open() Function Arbitrary Command Execution
- OSVDB ID: 62234: Sun ONE Web Server iPlanet Log Analyzer Crafted DNS Response Inverse Lookup Log Corruption XSS
- OSVDB ID: 9220: Sun ONE/iPlanet Web Server Admin Server Error Log XSS
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP1
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP10
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP2
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP3
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP11
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP5
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP6
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP7
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP8
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP9
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP4
Nov 19, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this