ISC DHCP dhcrelay (dhcp-relay) denial of service
|dhcp-dhcrelay-dos (11187)||Medium Risk|
dhcp-relay could allow a remote attacker to launch a denial of service attack against a connected DHCP server. If a remote attacker sends a malicious BOOTP packet to dhcrelay, the packet would be forwarded to a broadcast MAC address, which would cause dhcp-relay to enter into an infinite loop that would send a continuous packet storm towards the affected DHCP server.
Denial of Service
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Upgrade to the latest dhcp3 package, as listed below. Refer to DSA-245-1 for more information. See References.
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody): 3.0+3.0.1rc9-2.2 or later
Upgrade to the latest dhcpd package, as listed below. Refer to OpenPKG Security Advisory OpenPKG-SA-2003.012 for more information. See References.
OpenPKG CURRENT: 3.0.1rc11-20030219 or later
OpenPKG 1.1: 3.0.1rc9-1.1.2 or later
OpenPKG 1.2: 3.0.1rc11-1.2.1 or later
For Red Hat Linux 8.0:
Upgrade to the latest version of dhcp (3.0pl1-26 or later), as listed in RHSA-2003:034-06. See References.
Upgrade to the latest dhcp package, as listed below. Refer to Turbolinux Security Advisory TLSA-2003-26 for more information. See References.
Turbolinux: 3.0pl2-3 or later
For Conectiva Linux 8:
Upgrade to the latest version of dhcp (3.0-3U80_3cl or later), as listed in Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLSA-2003:616. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, 2003-01-15 14:46:14: DoS against DHCP infrastructure with isc dhcrelay.
- Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLSA-2003:616: dhcp.
- DSA 245-1: dhcp3 -- ignored counter boundary.
- BID-6628: ISC DHCPD dhcrelay Extraneous Network Packets Vulnerability
- CVE-2003-0039: ISC dhcrelay (dhcp-relay) 3.0rc9 and earlier, and possibly other versions, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (packet storm) via a certain BOOTP packet that is forwarded to a broadcast MAC address, causing an infinite loop that is not restricted by a hop count.
- DSA-245: dhcp3 -- ignored counter boundary
- OpenPKG-SA-2003.012: DHCPd
- OSVDB ID: 12645: ISC dhcrelay (dhcp-relay) DHCP Server DoS
- RHSA-2003-034: Updated dhcp packages fix possible packet storm
- Conectiva Linux 8.0
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- ISC DHCPd 3.0.1 rc7
- ISC DHCPd 3.0.1 rc8
- ISC DHCPd 3.0.1 rc3
- ISC DHCPd 3.0.1 rc9
- ISC DHCPd 3.0.1 rc2
- ISC DHCPd 3.0.1 rc10
- ISC DHCPd 3.0.1 rc1
- ISC DHCPd 3.0.1 rc6
- ISC DHCPd 3.0.1 rc5
- ISC DHCPd 3.0.1 rc4
- OpenPKG OpenPKG 1.1
- OpenPKG OpenPKG 1.2
- OpenPKG OpenPKG CURRENT
- RedHat Linux 7
- RedHat Linux 7.1
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- RedHat Linux 8.0
- Turbolinux Turbolinux 8 Server
- Turbolinux Turbolinux 8 Workstation
Jan 15, 2003
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this