Apache Tomcat examples and ROOT Web applications cross-site scripting
|tomcat-web-app-xss (11196)||Medium Risk|
Apache Tomcat is vulnerable to cross-site scripting in the "examples" and "ROOT" Web applications. A remote attacker could create a specially-crafted URL request to one of the affected applications containing embedded script, which would be executed in the victim's Web browser within the security context of the hosting site, once the link is clicked.
Upgrade to the Tomcat version 3.3.2, when it becomes available from the Apache Jakarta Project Web site. See References.
As a workaround, administrators should remove the "examples" Web application and remove the SnoopServlet.class from the "ROOT" Web application on production Web servers.
For HP-UX 11.00, 11.11, 11.20, and 11.22 :
Download and install the latest apache web server or tomcat servlet engine, as directed in Hewlett-Packard Company Security Bulletin HPSBUX0303-249. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Apache Jakarta Project Web site: Index of /builds/jakarta-tomcat/release/v3.3.1a.
- Apache Jakarta Project Web site: Apache Tomcat 3.3.1a - Release Notes.
- Apache Jakarta Project Web site: The Jakarta Site - The Jakarta Project.
- CIAC Information Bulletin N-060: Vulnerabilities in Tomcat 3.3.1.
- CIAC Information Bulletin N-060: Vulnerabilities in Tomcat 3.3.1 [REVISED 7 July 2004].
- Hewlett-Packard Company Security Bulletin HPSBUX0303-249: SSRT3522 Sec. Vulnerabilities in Tomcat 3.3.1. (From SecurityFocus archive.)
- BID-6720: Apache Tomcat Example Web Application Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability
- CVE-2003-0044: Multiple cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities in the (1) examples and (2) ROOT web applications for Jakarta Tomcat 3.x through 3.3.1a allow remote attackers to insert arbitrary web script or HTML.
- DSA-246: tomcat -- information exposure
- OSVDB ID: 9203: Apache Tomcat examples Application XSS
- OSVDB ID: 9204: Apache Tomcat ROOT Application XSS
- SA7972: Debian updates to tomcat
- Apache Tomcat 3.0
- Apache Tomcat 3.1
- Apache Tomcat 3.1.1
- Apache Tomcat 3.2
- Apache Tomcat 3.2.1
- Apache Tomcat 3.2.3
- Apache Tomcat 3.2.4
- Apache Tomcat 3.3
- Apache Tomcat 3.3.1
- Apache Tomcat 3.3.1A
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- HP HP-UX 11.00
- HP HP-UX 11.11
- HP HP-UX 11.20
- HP HP-UX 11.22
Jan 25, 2003
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this