BladeEnc myFseek() code execution
|bladeenc-myfseek-code-execution (11227)||Medium Risk|
BladeEnc could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by a vulnerability in the myFseek() function. The myFseek() function fails to properly validate the "offset" variable. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a malicious audio file, and sending it to a victim as an email attachment or hosting it on a Web site, which would cause arbitrary code to be executed on the victim's system when encoded using the BladeEnc encoder.
For Gentoo Linux:
Upgrade to the latest version of bladeenc (0.94.2-r1 and later), as listed in Gentoo Linux Security Announcement 200302-04. See References.
For other distributions: Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information..
- BladeEnc Web site: Tord's Homepage / Homepage for BladeEnc.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sun Feb 02 2003 - 13:53:50 CST : Bladeenc 0.94.2 code execution.
- Gentoo Linux Security Announcement 200302-04: bladeenc -- arbitrary code execution.
- BID-6745: Bladeenc Signed Integer Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- CVE-2003-0075: Integer signedness error in the myFseek function of samplein.c for Blade encoder (BladeEnc) 0.94.2 and earlier allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a negative offset value following a fmt wave chunk.
- OSVDB ID: 8812: BladeEnc myFseek Code Execution
- Gentoo Linux
- Tord Jansson BladeEnc 0.94.2 and prior
Feb 02, 2003
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this