KGhostview GSview DSC parser .ps input file buffer overflow
|gsview-dsc-ps-bo (11319)||High Risk|
GSview is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking of .ps (PostScript) input files. By creating a specially-crafted PostScript file, a remote or local attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system, once a victim opens the file.
For Red Hat Linux:
Upgrade to the latest kdegraphics package, as listed below. Refer to RHSA-2002:220-41 for more information. See References.
Red Hat Linux 7.2: 2.2.2-2.1 or later
Red Hat Linux 7.3: 3.0.3-0.7.2 or later
Red Hat Linux 8.0: 3.0.3-5 or later
For KDE KGhostView:
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in KDE Security Advisory 2002-10-08. See References.
For Mandrake Linux:
Upgrade to the latest kdegraphics package, as listed below. Refer to MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2002:071 : kdegraphics for more information. See References.
Mandrake Linux 8.1: 2.2.1-2.1mdk or later
Mandrake Linux 8.2: 2.2.2-15.1mdk or later
Mandrake Linux 9.0: 3.0.3-11.1mdk or later
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- KDE Security Advisory 2002-10-08: KGhostview Arbitary Code Execution.
- CVE-2002-1223: Buffer overflow in DSC 3.0 parser from GSview, as used in KGhostView in KDE 1.1 and KDE 3.0.3a, may allow attackers to cause a denial of service or execute arbitrary code via a modified .ps (PostScript) input file.
- OSVDB ID: 12995: KDE KGhostView GSview DSC Parser Overflow
- RHSA-2002-220: Updated KDE packages fix security issues
- Ghostgum Software DSC (Document Structuring Conventions) 3.0
- KDE KDE prior to 3.0.4
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 9.0
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- RedHat Linux 8.0
Oct 08, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this