Apcupsd vsprintf() multiple buffer overflows
|apcupsd-vsprintf-multiple-bo (11491)||High Risk|
Apcupsd is vulnerable to multiple buffer overflows, caused by a vulnerability in the vsprintf() function. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the system to crash or execute arbitrary code on the system.
Upgrade to the latest stable version of Apcupsd (3.8.6 or later), available from the Apcupsd Web page. See References.
For Mandrake Linux:
Upgrade to the latest apcupsd package, as listed below. Refer to MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2003:018:apcupsd for more information. See References.
Mandrake Linux 8.1, 8.2, and 9.0: 3.10.5-1.1mdk or later
Mandrake Linux 8.1 (IA64): 3.8.6-1.1mdk or later
For SuSE Linux:
Upgrade to the latest apcupsd package, as listed below. Refer to SuSE Security Announcement SuSE-SA:2003:022 for more information. See References.
SuSE 8.1: 3.8.6-17 or later
SuSE 8.0: 3.8.6-16 or later
SuSE 7.3: 3.8.2-70 or later
SuSE 7.3 (Sparc): 3.8.2-30 or later
SuSE 7.3 (Power PPC): 3.8.2-56 or later
For Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody):
Upgrade to the latest version of apcupsd (3.8.5-1.1.1 or later), as listed in DSA-277-1. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Apcupsd UPS control software Release Notes: Release Name: 3.10.5.
- Apcupsd Web site: Apcupsd, a daemon for controlling APC UPSes.
- BID-7200: APC apcupsd Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2003-0099: Multiple buffer overflows in apcupsd before 3.8.6, and 3.10.x before 3.10.5, may allow attackers to cause a denial of service or execute arbitrary code, related to usage of the vsprintf function.
- DSA-277: apcupsd -- buffer overflows
- MDKSA-2003:018: Updated apcupsd packages fix buffer overflow and remove vulnerability
- OSVDB ID: 10749: APC apcupsd vsprintf Function Unspecified Multiple Overflows
- SECTRACK ID: 1006108: Apcupsd Format String Flaw May Let Remote Users Gain Root Access
- SUSE-SA:2003:022: apcupsd: remote system compromise
- APC Apcupsd 3.10.4
- APC Apcupsd 3.8.5
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1 IA64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.2 PPC
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 9.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 7.3
- SUSE SuSE Linux 8.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 8.1
Feb 04, 2003
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this