Debian Linux sendmail creates temporary files insecurely
|sendmail-tmpfile-insecure (12018)||High Risk|
The sendmail package included with Debian Linux could allow a remote attacker to gain elevated privileges. Sendmail, a Mail Transport Agent (MTA) used on many operating systems, creates temporary files insecurely in the expn, checksendmail, and doublebounce.pl scripts. This vulnerability could allow a local attacker to gain privileges of the script user, possibly root.
For Debian GNU/Linux:
Upgrade to the latest sendmail package, as listed below. Refer to DSA-305-1 for more information. See References.
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (potato): 8.9.3-26.1 or later
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody): 8.12.3-6.4 or later
- BID-7614: Sendmail Insecure Temporary File Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- CVE-2003-0308: The Sendmail 8.12.3 package in Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 does not securely create temporary files, which could allow local users to gain additional privileges via (1) expn, (2) checksendmail, or (3) doublebounce.pl.
- DSA-305: sendmail -- insecure temporary files
- OSVDB ID: 43039: Multiple Linux am-utils / net-fs expn expn[PID] Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- OSVDB ID: 9306: Debian Sendmail expn Script Insecure Temp File Privilege Escalation
- OSVDB ID: 9307: Debian Sendmail checksendmail Script Insecure Temp File Privilege Escalation
- OSVDB ID: 9308: Debian Sendmail doublebounce.pl Script Insecure Temp File Privilege Escalation
- Debian Debian Linux 2.2
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
May 15, 2003
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this