McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator could allow an attacker to obtain MSDE SA password
|epolicy-msde-obtain-password (12787)||Medium Risk|
McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator could allow a remote attacker to obtain sensitive information. By sending a specially-crafted HTTP request to the server, a remote attacker, from within the affected network, could obtain the server configuration file, which contains the encrypted Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE) systems administrator password. The attacker could decrypt this password, which could then be used to launch further attacks against the affected system.
Apply the appropriate patches for your system, as listed in Network Associates Security Bulletin 07/31/03. See References.
- @stake Inc. Security Advisory A073103-1: ePolicy Orchestrator multiple vulnerabilities.
- Network Associates Security Bulletin 07/31/03: ePolicy Orchestrator vulnerabilities.
- BID-8319: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator MSDE SA Account Information Disclosure Vulnerability
- CVE-2003-0148: The default installation of MSDE via McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 2.0 through 3.0 allows attackers to execute arbitrary code via a series of steps that (1) obtain the database administrator username and encrypted password in a configuration file from the ePO server using a certain request, (2) crack the password due to weak cryptography, and (3) use the password to pass commands through xp_cmdshell.
- OSVDB ID: 2351: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator MSDE SA Account Compromise
- McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 2.0
- McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 2.5
- McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 2.5 SP1
- McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 2.5.1
- McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 3.0
Jul 31, 2003
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this