oMail-webmail checklogin function code execution
|omailwebmail-checklogin-code-execution (12948)||High Risk|
oMail-webmail could allow a remote attacker to obtain sensitive information, caused by a vulnerability in the checklogin function. The $domainname, $username, and $password variables in the checklogin function are not filtered. If oMail-webmail is installed by default, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code on the system with root privileges.
Upgrade to the latest version of oMail-webmail (0.98.5 or later), available from the oMail-webmail Web site. See References..
Note: There is a report that version 0.98.5 is still affected by this vulnerability. Refer to BugTraq Mailing List, Tue May 04 2004 - 12:10:00 CDT for more information. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Aug 21 2003 - 04:24:30 CDT: Re: Remote Execution of Commands in Omail Webmail 0.98.4 and earlier.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Aug 19 2003 - 14:15:32 CDT : Remote Execution of Commands in Omail Webmail 0.98.4 and earlier.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue May 04 2004 - 12:10:00 CDT: remote root exec vulnerability in omail.
- oMail-webmail Web site: oMail-webmail version 0.98.5.
- BID-10274: OMail Webmail Remote Command Execution Variant Vulnerability
- BID-8451: OMail Webmail Remote Command Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2003-1202: The checklogin function in omail.pl for omail webmail 0.98.4 and earlier allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands via shell metacharacters in a (1) password, (2) domainname, or (3) username.
- CVE-2004-1993: The patch to the checklogin function in omail.pl for omail webmail 0.98.5 is incomplete, which allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands via shell metacharacters such as ` (backticks) in the password.
- OSVDB ID: 2457: oMail-webmail omail.pl checklogin Function Multiple Field Arbitrary Command Execution
- OSVDB ID: 59498: oMail-webmail omail.pl checklogin Function Password Field Arbitrary Command Execution
- SA9585: oMail-webmail Arbitrary Command Execution Vulnerability
- Olivier Müller oMail-webmail 0.98.4 and prior
Aug 19, 2003
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this