Midnight Commander vfs_s_resolve_symlink buffer overflow
|midnight-commander-vfssresolvesymlink-bo (13247)||High Risk|
Midnight Commander (mc) is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by a vulnerability in the vfs_s_resolve_symlink function. By creating a specially-crafted archive file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with privileges of the Midnight Commander user, once the victim opens the file.
For Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody):
Upgrade to the latest mc package (4.5.55-1.2woody2 or later), as listed in DSA-424-1. See References.
For Red Hat Linux 9:
Upgrade to the latest mc package (4.6.0-7.9 or later), as listed in RHSA-2004:034-03. See References.
For Red Hat Linux containing the mc package:
Upgrade to the latest mc package, as listed below. Refer to RHSA-2004:035-01 for more information. See References.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v. 2.1), WS (v. 2.1), and Red Hat Linux Advanced Workstation 2.1 for the Itanium Processor: 4.5.51-36.1 or later
For Mandrake Linux:
Upgrade to the latest mc package, as listed below. Refer to MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2004:007 : mc for more information. See References.
Mandrake Linux 9.1: 4.6.0-4.1.91mdk or later
Mandrake Linux 9.2: 4.6.0-4.1.92mdk or later
Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 2.1: 4.5.55-10.1.C21mdk or later
For Caldera OpenLinux 3.1.1 (Workstation and Server):
Upgrade to the latest version of mc (4.5.51-6 or later), as listed in SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2004-014.0. See References.
For Conectiva Linux:
Upgrade to the latest mc package, as listed below. Refer to Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLSA-2004:833 for more information. See References.
Conectiva Linux 8: 4.5.55-6U80_1cl or later
Conectiva Linux 9: 4.5.55-19421U90_1cl or later
Refer to OpenPKG Security Advisory OpenPKG-SA-2004.009 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Sep 19 2003 - 08:47:23 CDT: uninitialized buffer in midnight commander.
- Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLSA-2004:833: mc.
- SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2004-014.0: OpenLinux: mc Updated packages resolve local buffer overflow vulnerability. (From LinuxSecurity archive)
- BID-8658: Midnight Commander Virtual File System Symlink Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2003-1023: Stack-based buffer overflow in vfs_s_resolve_symlink of vfs/direntry.c for Midnight Commander (mc) 4.6.0 and earlier, and possibly later versions, allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code during symlink conversion.
- DSA-424: mc -- buffer overflow
- GLSA-200403-09: Buffer overflow in Midnight Commander
- MDKSA-2004:007: Updated mc packages fix buffer overflow vulnerability
- OpenPKG-SA-2004.009: mc
- RHSA-2004-034: Updated mc packages resolve buffer overflow vulnerability
- RHSA-2004-035: mc security update
- SA9833: Midnight Commander VFS symlink buffer overflow
- Conectiva Linux 8.0
- Conectiva Linux 9.0
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- Gentoo Linux
- GNOME Midnight Commander 4.5.52 - 4.6.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 9.1 PPC
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 9.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 9.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 9.2 AMD64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 2.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 2.1 X86_64
- OpenPKG OpenPKG 1.3
- OpenPKG OpenPKG 2.0
- OpenPKG OpenPKG CURRENT
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AW
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 WS
- RedHat Linux 9.0
- RedHat Linux Advanced Workstation 2.1 Itanium
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Server 3.1.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1.1
Sep 19, 2003
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this