Zebra telnet management service denial of service
|zebra-telnet-mngmt-dos (13758)||Medium Risk|
Zebra is vulnerable to a denial of service. A remote attacker could connect to the Telnet management port and cause the service to crash, if a Zebra password has been enabled.
Note: Quagga is also affected by this vulnerability.
Denial of Service
For Red Hat Linux:
Upgrade to the latest zebra package, as listed below. Refer to RHSA-2003:307-09 for more information. See References.
Red Hat 7.2: 0.91a-8.7.2 or later
Red Hat 7.3: 0.92a-5.7.3 or later
Red Hat 8.0: 0.93a-5.8.0 or later
Red Hat 9: 0.93b-4.9 or later
For Conectiva Linux:
Upgrade to the latest zebra package, as listed below. Refer to Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLSA-2003:786 for more information. See References.
Conectiva Linux 9: 0.93b-27301U90_1cl or later
Upgrade to the latest zebra package, as listed below. Refer to OpenPKG Security Advisory OpenPKG-SA-2003.049 for more information. See References.
OpenPKG CURRENT: 0.93b-20031113 or later
OpenPKG 1.2: 0.93b-1.2.1 or later
OpenPKG 1.3: 0.93b-1.3.1 or later
For Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody):
Upgrade to the latest zebra package (0.92a-5woody2 or later), as listed in DSA-415-1. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Nov 14 2003 - 07:16:37 CST: Quagga remote vulnerability.
- Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLSA-2003:786: zebra.
- BID-9029: GNU Zebra / Quagga Remote Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2003-0795: The vty layer in Quagga before 0.96.4, and Zebra 0.93b and earlier, does not verify that sub-negotiation is taking place when processing the SE marker, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via a malformed telnet command to the telnet CLI port, which may trigger a null dereference.
- DSA-415: zebra -- denial of service
- OpenPKG-SA-2003.049: Zebra
- RHSA-2003-305: zebra security update
- RHSA-2003-307: Updated zebra packages fix security vulnerabilities
- Conectiva Linux 9.0
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- GNU Zebra
- OpenPKG OpenPKG 1.2
- OpenPKG OpenPKG 1.3
- OpenPKG OpenPKG CURRENT
- Quagga Quagga prior to 0.96.4
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- RedHat Linux 8.0
- RedHat Linux 9.0
- RedHat Linux Advanced Workstation 2.1 Itanium
Nov 13, 2003
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this