GnuPG gpgkeys_hkp utility format string
|gnupg-gpgkeyshkp-format-string (13892)||High Risk|
GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG or GPG) is vulnerable to a format string attack in the gpgkeys_hkp utility. If the HKP interface is enabled, a remote attacker could perform a man-in-the-middle attack to exploit this vulnerability and cause the GnuPG to crash or execute arbitrary code on the system.
Reportedly, this vulnerability is fixed in the latest CVS version for the 1.2.x stable branch and in version 1.3.4 for the development branch. See S-Quadra Advisory #2003-12-03 for more information. See References.
For SuSE Linux:
Upgrade to the latest gpg package, as listed below. Refer to SuSE Security Announcement SuSE-SA:2003:048 for more information. See References.
SuSE Linux 9.0 (Intel): 1.2.2-121 or later
SuSE Linux 8.2: 1.2.2rcl-98 or later
SuSE Linux 9.0 (x86_64): 1.2.2-117 or later
For Gentoo Linux:
Upgrade to the latest version of gnupg (1.2.3-r5 or later), as listed in Gentoo Linux Security Announcement 200312-05. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Wed Dec 03 2003 - 07:30:38 CST: GnuPG 1.2.3, 1.3.3 external HKP interface format string issue .
- Gentoo Linux Security Announcement 200312-05: app-crypt/gnupg. (From LinuxSecurity archive)
- S-Quadra Advisory #2003-12-03: GnuPG 1.2.3, 1.3.3 external HKP interface format string issue.
- BID-9144: GnuPG External HKP Format String Vulnerability
- CVE-2003-0978: Format string vulnerability in gpgkeys_hkp (experimental HKP interface) for the GnuPG (gpg) client 1.2.3 and earlier, and 1.3.3 and earlier, allows remote attackers or a malicious keyserver to cause a denial of service (crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code during key retrieval.
- OSVDB ID: 2899: GnuPG HTTP Keyserver Protocol Interface Format String
- OSVDB ID: 4904: GnuPG gpgkeys_hkp Remote Format String
- Gentoo Linux
- GNU Privacy Guard 1.2
- GNU Privacy Guard 1.2.1
- GNU Privacy Guard 1.2.2
- GNU Privacy Guard 1.2.3
- GNU Privacy Guard 1.3.3
- GnuPG GnuPG 1.2.2 r1
- GnuPG GnuPG 1.2.2 rc1
- Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 7.0
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8
- SuSE SuSE eMail Server 3.1
- SuSE SuSE eMail Server III
- SUSE SuSE Linux 7.3
- SUSE SuSE Linux 8.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 8.2
- SUSE SuSE Linux 9.0
- SuSE SuSE Linux Connectivity Server
- SuSE SuSE Linux Database Server
- SuSE SuSE Linux Firewall
- SuSE SuSE Linux Office Server
- SuSE SuSE Linux School Server
- SuSE SuSE Linux Standard Server 8
Dec 03, 2003
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this