OpenBSD ISAKMP daemon INITIAL-CONTACT could allow an attacker to delete IPsec SAs
|openbsd-isakmp-initialcontact-delete-sa (14118)||Medium Risk|
The OpenBSD ISAKMP daemon (isakmpd) could allow a remote attacker to delete an arbitrary IPsec SA (Security Association). Isakmpd deletes the IPsec SA that is pointing to the source IP address of a ISAKMP message and associated IPsec SAs, upon receipt of an INITIAL-CONTACT status notification that is chained to a specific payload. A remote attacker could send a specially-crafted ISAKMP message from a specific IP address to delete arbitrary IPsec SAs.
Note: Racoon, which is a key management daemon that negotiates and configures a set of parameters of IPsec, is also affected by this vulnerability.
For NetBSD-current (dated prior to 2004-01-17) and 1.6 branch:
Upgrade to the appropriate fixed versions of NetBSD, as listed in NetBSD Security Advisory 2004-001. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Jan 01 2004 - 14:20:18 CST : Re: multiple payload handling flaws in isakmpd, again.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Jan 13 2004 - 15:39:40 CST: unauthorized deletion of IPsec (and ISAKMP) SAs in racoon.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Dec 31 2003 - 16:38:58 CST: multiple payload handling flaws in isakmpd, again.
- NetBSD Security Advisory 2004-001: Insufficient packet validation in racoon IKE daemon.
- BID-10496: OpenBSD ISAKMPD Security Association Piggyback Delete Payload Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- BID-9334: ISAKMPD "Initial Contact" Notification SA Deletion Vulnerability
- BID-9416: KAME Racoon "Authentication" SA Deletion Vulnerability
- BID-9417: KAME Racoon "Initial Contact" SA Deletion Vulnerability
- BID-9436: OpenBSD 3.4 Crypto Card Handlers File Descriptor Leak Vulnerability
- CVE-2004-0164: KAME IKE daemon (racoon) does not properly handle hash values, which allows remote attackers to delete certificates via (1) a certain delete message that is not properly handled in isakmp.c or isakmp_inf.c, or (2) a certain INITIAL-CONTACT message that is not properly handled in isakmp_inf.c.
- RHSA-2004-165: ipsec-tools security update
- KAME Project Racoon
- NetBSD NetBSD 1.6
- NetBSD NetBSD 1.6.1
- NetBSD NetBSD CURRENT
- OpenBSD OpenBSD
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 AS
Dec 31, 2003
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this