IBM Informix Dynamic Server ontape binary buffer overflow
|informix-ontape-binary-bo (14970)||High Risk|
Informix Dynamic Server (IDS) is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by a insufficient bounds checking in the "ONCONFIG" environment variable in the ontape binary. By supplying a long string to the environment variable, a local attacker can overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with root privileges.
Contact Customer Services for an upgrade to IBM Informix Dynamic Server 9.40.UC3. See References.
- Informix Web page: Security issues in IBM Informix Dynamic Server and IBM Informix Extended Parallel Server (XPS).
- VulnWatch Mailing List, Fri Mar 14 2003 - 00:18:51 CST: SRT2004-01-18-0747 - IBM Informix IDS 9.4 contains multiple vulnerabilities.
- BID-9511: IBM Informix Multiple Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerabilities
- BID-9512: IBM Informix Dynamic Server/Informix Extended Parallel Server Multiple Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2004-2131: Stack-based buffer overflow in ontape for IBM Informix Dynamic Server (IDS) 9.40.xC3 and earlier allows local users, with DSA privileges, to execute arbitrary code via a long ONCONFIG environment variable.
- OSVDB ID: 3759: IBM Informix Database ontape Overflow
- SA10737: IBM Informix Database Multiple Local Vulnerabilities
- IBM Informix Dynamic Server 9.40.UC1
- IBM Informix Dynamic Server 9.40.UC2
- IBM Informix Extended Parallel Server 8.40_UC1
Jan 28, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this