Cisco 6000, 6500, and 7600 series systems frame containing a packet denial of service
|cisco-malformed-frame-dos (15013)||Medium Risk|
Cisco 6000, 6500, and 7600 series systems with Multilayer Switch Feature Card 2 (MSFC2) with a FlexWAN or Optical Services Module (OSM) and Cisco 6000, 6500, and 7600 series systems with MSFC2 module running the 12.1(8b)E14 software version, even without the FlexWAN or OSM module, are vulnerable to a denial of service attack. A local or remote attacker can send a specially-crafted layer 2 frame that contains a layer 3 packet of a different length to cause the system to hang or reset. By continuing to resend the packet, the attacker can cause a denial of service.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest software version for your device, as listed in Cisco Security Advisory Document ID: 47980. See References.
- Cisco Systems Inc. Security Advisory, 2004 February 03 1600 UTC (GMT): Cisco 6000/6500/7600 Crafted Layer 2 Frame Vulnerability.
- BID-9562: Cisco IOS MSFC2 Malformed Layer 2 Frame Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2004-0244: Cisco 6000, 6500, and 7600 series systems with Multilayer Switch Feature Card 2 (MSFC2) and a FlexWAN or OSM module allow local users to cause a denial of service (hang or reset) by sending a layer 2 frame packet that encapsulates a layer 3 packet, but has inconsistent length values with that packet.
- OSVDB ID: 3804: Cisco IOS 6000/6500/7600 Series Layer 2 Frame DoS
- SA10780: Cisco 6000/6500/7600 Series Denial of Service Vulnerability
- US-CERT VU#810062: Cisco 6000/6500/7600 series systems fail to properly process layer 2 frames
- Cisco 6000 Router
- Cisco 6500 Router
- Cisco 7600 Router
- Cisco IOS 12.1E
- Cisco IOS 12.2SY
- Cisco IOS 12.2ZA
Feb 03, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this