AIM Sniff symlink attack
|aim-sniff-symlink (15199)||Medium Risk|
AIM Sniff creates insecure temporary files. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating symbolic links from temporary files to other files on the system, which could be overwritten with privileges of the AIM Sniff user.
Upgrade to the latest version of AIM Sniff (0.9d or later), available from the AIM Sniff Web page. See References.
- AIM Sniff Web page: Project: AIM Sniff: File List.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Feb 11 2004 - 21:58:23 CST: aimSniff.pl file "deletion" (local).
- BID-9653: AIM Sniff Temporary File Symlink Attack Vulnerability
- CVE-2004-0279: AIM Sniff (aimSniff.pl) 0.9b allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on /tmp/AS.log.
- OSVDB ID: 6381: AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) Sniff aimSniff.pl Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- AIM Sniff AIM Sniff 0.9b
Feb 12, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this