Mailmgr insecure temporary directory
|mailmgr-insecure-temp-directory (15203)||High Risk|
Mailmgr could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. The unsort, tmp, and sort scripts create insecure temporary files. A local attacker could create a symbolic link for a file in /tmp to an arbitrary file on the system, which could allow the attacker to view, create or overwrite arbitrary files on the system with privileges of the Mailmgr user.
Upgrade to the latest version of Mailmgr (1.2.3 or later), available from the FreshPorts Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Feb 12 2004 - 13:56:09 CST : Symlink vulnerabilities in mailmgr.
- FreshPorts Web site: FreshPorts -- mail/mailmgr.
- BID-9654: Mailmgr Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2004-0283: Mailmgr 1.2.3 allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on (1) /tmp/mailmgr.unsort, (2) /tmp/mailmgr.tmp, or (3) /tmp/mailmgr.sort.
- OSVDB ID: 3934: Mailmgr Multiple Script Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- Sarg Mailmgr prior to 1.2.3
Feb 13, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this