Symantec Firewall/VPN caches administrative password in plain text
|symantec-firewallvpn-password-plaintext (15212)||Medium Risk|
Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliance model 200 could allow a remote or local attacker to obtain sensitive information. Once the administrator edits the password via the administration Web page, Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliance caches the administrative password in plain text. A remote attacker could possibly exploit this vulnerability by sending a specially-crafted request to obtain the administrative password.
Apply the appropriate patches, available from the Symantec Corporation FTP site. See References.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Mon Feb 16 2004 - 01:55:17 CST: Symantec FireWall/VPN Appliance model 200 leak of security.
- Symantec Corporation FTP site: Symantec.
- Symantec Security Response SYM04-004: Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliance Cached Password Vulnerability.
- BID-9784: Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliance Cached Plaintext Password Vulnerability
- CVE-2004-0190: Symantec FireWall/VPN Appliance model 200 records a cleartext password for the password administration page, which may be cached on the administrator's local system or in a proxy, which allows attackers to steal the password and gain privileges.
- OSVDB ID: 4117: Symantec Firewall / VPN Appliance Exposure of Password
- Symantec Firewall VPN Appliance 100
- Symantec Firewall VPN Appliance 200
- Symantec Firewall VPN Appliance 200R
Feb 16, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this