YABB invalid messages allow attacker to obtain username and password
|yabb-invalidmessage-obtain-information (15236)||Medium Risk|
YaBB (Yet Another Bulletin Board) could allow a remote attacker to determine valid usernames and passwords on the system. YABB displays different messages for valid and invalid usernames. The system will either return a message stating that the username is incorrect or the password is incorrect. A remote attacker could determine a valid username and password by using brute force methods to gain unauthorized access to the system.
No remedy available as of July 1, 2014.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Feb 17 2004 - 04:07:48 CST : YABB information leakage on failed login.
- YABB Web site: Yet another Bulletin Board - Free open source forum software.
- BID-9677: YaBB Information Leakage Weakness
- CVE-2004-0294: YaBB 1 SP 1.3.1 displays different error messages when a user exists or not, which makes it easier for remote attackers to identify valid users and conduct a brute force password guessing attack.
- OSVDB ID: 6724: YaBB Valid User Information Disclosure
- YaBB YaBB 1 SP1.3.1
Feb 17, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this