Sun Solaris passwd(1) allows elevated privileges
|solaris-passwd-gain-privileges (15327)||High Risk|
Solaris could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges on the system, caused by a vulnerability in the passwd(1) command. A local attacker could use this vulnerability to gain elevated or root privileges on the system.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed below. Refer to Sun Alert ID: 57454 for more information. See References.
Solaris 8 with patch: 108993-32 or later
Solaris 9 with patch: 113476-11 or later
Solaris 8 with patch: 108994-32 or later
Solaris 9 with patch: 114242-07 or later/P>
- CIAC Information Bulletin O-088: Sun passwd(1) Command Vulnerability.
- Sun Alert ID: 57454: Security Vulnerability Involving the passwd(1) Command.
- BID-9757: Sun Solaris Unspecified Passwd Local Root Compromise Vulnerability
- CVE-2004-0360: Unknown vulnerability in passwd(1) in Solaris 8.0 and 9.0 allows local users to gain privileges via unknown attack vectors.
- OSVDB ID: 4070: Solaris passwd Local Privilege Escalation
- US-CERT VU#694782: Sun Solaris passwd command allows for privilege escalation
- Sun Solaris 8 x86
- Sun Solaris 8 SPARC
- Sun Solaris 9 x86
- Sun Solaris 9 SPARC
Feb 26, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this