WinZip UUDeview package MIME buffer overflow
|winzip-mime-bo (15336)||High Risk|
The WinZip utility is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the UUDeview package when decoding long strings. By sending a specially-crafted MIME archive file, a remote attacker can overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with privileges of the user running WinZip.
UUDeview, is also affected by this vulnerability.
Upgrade to the latest version of WinZip (9.0 or later), available from the WinZip Web site. See References.
Upgrade to the latest version of UUDeview (0.5.20 or later), available from the UUDeview Web page. See References.
For Gentoo Linux:
Upgrade to the latest version of uudeview (0.5.20 or later), as listed in GLSA 200403-05. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- CIAC Information Bulletin O-092: WinZip Vulnerable to Buffer Overflow in Handling of MIME Archive Parameters.
- GLSA 200403-05: UUDeview MIME Buffer Overflow. (From LinuxSecurity archive)
- iDEFENSE Security Advisory 02.27.04:: WinZip MIME Parsing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability .
- SecuriTeam Mailing List, Security Holes & Exploits 18 Apr 2004: WinZip MIME Parsing Buffer Overflow Exploit.
- UUDeview Web page: UUDeview Home Page.
- WinZip Web site: WinZip home page.
- BID-9758: UUDeview MIME Archive Buffer Overrun Vulnerability
- CVE-2004-0333: Buffer overflow in the UUDeview package, as used in WinZip 6.2 through WinZip 8.1 SR-1, and possibly other packages, allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a MIME archive with certain long MIME parameters.
- GLSA-200403-05: UUDeview MIME Buffer Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 4076: WinZip MIME Archive Parsing Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 4119: UUDeview Parameter Parsing Overflow
- SA10995: WinZip MIME Archive Parsing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- SA11019: UUDeview Parameter Parsing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- US-CERT VU#116182: WinZip vulnerable to buffer overflow in handling of MIME archive parameters
- Gentoo Linux
- UUDeview UUDeview 0.5.19 and prior
- WinZip WinZip 8.1
Feb 27, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this