YaBB SE multiple modules allow SQL injection
|yabb-multiple-sql-injection (15354)||Medium Risk|
YaBB (Yet Another Bulletin Board) is vulnerable to SQL injection, caused by a vulnerability in the ModifyMessage module and in the ModifyMessage2 module. A remote attacker could insert arbitrary SQL code in the $msg variable in a request to the index.php script of the ModifyMessage module, in the $postid variable in a request to the index.php script of the ModifyMessage2 module, or in the $attachOld variable in a request to the index.php script of the ModifyMessage2 module, which would allow the attacker obtain sensitive information, including the user's MD5 password hash and secret question, allowing the attacker to add, modify or delete data in the backend database.
Upgrade to SMF (1.0 Beta 4 or later), available from the Simple Machines Download Web page. See References.
An unofficial patch can be obtained from the BugTraq Mailing List posting dated Mon Mar 01 2004 - 03:46:28 CST. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Mar 01 2004 - 03:46:28 CST : YabbSE (3 on 1).
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Mar 17 2004 - 11:25:36 CST: Re: YabbSE (3 on 1).
- Simple Machines Download Web page: Simple Machines - Downloads.
- BID-9774: YABB SE Multiple Input Validation Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2003-0343: BlackMoon FTP Server 2.6 Free Edition, and possibly other distributions and versions, generates an Account does not exist error message when an invalid username is entered, which makes it easier for remote attackers to conduct brute force attacks.
- CVE-2004-0343: Multiple SQL injection vulnerabilities in YaBB SE 1.5.4 through 1.5.5b allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary SQL via (1) the msg parameter in ModifyMessage.php or (2) the postid parameter in ModifyMessage.php.
- CVE-2004-0344: Directory traversal vulnerability in ModifyMessage.php in YaBB SE 1.5.4 through 1.5.5b allows remote attackers to delete arbitrary files via a .. (dot dot) in the attachOld parameter.
- OSVDB ID: 6733: YaBB SE ModifyMessage.php Arbitrary File Deletion
- OSVDB ID: 6734: YaBB SE ModifyMessage.php Multiple Parameter SQL Injection
- YaBB YaBB SE 1.5.4
- YaBB YaBB SE 1.5.5
- YaBB YaBB SE 1.5.5b
Mar 01, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this