FreeBSD memory buffers (mbufs) denial of service
|freebsd-mbuf-dos (15369)||Medium Risk|
FreeBSD is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a vulnerability in the memory buffers (mbufs). A remote attacker could send multiple TCP packets in an improper sequence to cause the system to stop processing new connections.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to FreeBSD 4-STABLE or to the appropriate RELENG security branch dated after 2004-03-02, as listed in FreeBSD Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-04:04.tcp. See References.
— OR —
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in FreeBSD Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-04:04.tcp. See References.
For SGI IRIX:
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in SGI Security Advisory 20040905-01-P. See References.
- FreeBSD Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-04:04: many out-of-sequence TCP packets denial-of-service.
- FreeBSD Security Mailing List, Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:02:30 -0600: Fwd: [is this mbuf problem real?].
- BID-9792: BSD Out Of Sequence Packets Remote Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2004-0171: FreeBSD 5.1 and earlier, and Mac OS X before 10.3.4, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (resource exhaustion of memory buffers and system crash) via a large number of out-of-sequence TCP packets, which prevents the operating system from creating new connections.
- OSVDB ID: 4124: Multiple BSD mbufs Out-of-Sequence TCP Packet DoS
- US-CERT VU#395670: FreeBSD fails to limit number of TCP segments held in reassembly queue
- FreeBSD FreeBSD 4.0
- FreeBSD FreeBSD 5.1
- SGI IRIX 6.5.22
- SGI IRIX 6.5.23
- SGI IRIX 6.5.24
- SGI IRIX 6.5.25
Mar 01, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this