OpenBSD ISAKMP delete payload denial of service
|openbsd-isakmp-delete-dos (15630)||Medium Risk|
Internet Security Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP), when running in OpenBSD implementations, is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by improper validation of payloads. By sending a specially-crafted ISAKMP packet containing a malformed delete payload with a large number of Security Parameter Indexes (SPI), a remote attacker could cause the ISAKMP daemon to crash.
Denial of Service
For OpenBSD 3.4:
Apply the 015_isakmpd2.patch, available from the OpenBSD 3.4 errata Web site. See References.
For OpenBSD 3.3:
Apply the 020_isakmpd2.patch, available from the OpenBSD 3.4 errata Web site. See References.
- OpenBSD 3.3 errata Web site: 015: SECURITY FIX: February 5, 2004.
- OpenBSD 3.4 errata Web site: 015: RELIABILITY FIX: March 17, 2004.
- Rapid7, Inc. Security Advisory R7-0018: OpenBSD isakmpd payload handling denial-of-service vulnerabilities.
- BID-10031: OpenBSD ISAKMPD Delete Payload Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- BID-9907: OpenBSD isakmpd Multiple Unspecified Remote Denial Of Service Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2004-0221: isakmpd in OpenBSD 3.4 and earlier allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via an ISAKMP packet with a delete payload containing a large number of SPIs, which triggers an out-of-bounds read error, as demonstrated by the Striker ISAKMP Protocol Test Suite.
- OSVDB ID: 5700: OpenBSD isakmpd Delete Payload Handling DoS
- SECTRACK ID: 1009468: isakmpd Payload Handling Flaw Lets Remote Users Crash the Daemon
- US-CERT VU#524497: isakmpd crashes when handling ISAKMP packets with malformed Delete Payload
- OpenBSD OpenBSD 3.3
- OpenBSD OpenBSD 3.4
Mar 17, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this