FTE Text Editor vfte buffer overflow
|ftetexteditor-vfte-bo (15726)||High Risk|
FTE Text Editor is vulnerable to multiple buffer overflows, caused by improper bounds checking of requests. By sending an overly long request with certain command line arguments to the vfte utility, a remote attacker can overflow a buffer and cause a denial of service or possibly execute arbitrary code on the server with setuid or setgid privileges.
For Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody):
Upgrade to the latest FTE Text Editor package (fte_0.49.13-15woody1 or later), as listed in DSA-472-1. See References.
- CIAC Information Bulletin O-107: vfte Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities.
- BID-10041: FTE Multiple Local Unspecified Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2003-0648: Multiple buffer overflows in vfte, based on FTE, before 0.50, allow local users to execute arbitrary code.
- DSA-472: fte -- several vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 4938: FTE Text Editor vfte Overflow
- SA11290: FTE Text Editor Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1009655: FTE Command Line and Environment Variable Buffer Overflows May Let Local Users Gain Elevated Privileges
- SECTRACK ID: 1009656: (Debian Issues Fix) FTE Command Line and Environment Variable Buffer Overflows May Let Local Users Gain Elevated Privileges
- US-CERT VU#354838: FTE fails to properly validate command line arguments
- US-CERT VU#900964: FTE fails to properly validate environment variables
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- FTE Text Editor FTE Text Editor
Apr 05, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this