Perl and ActivePerl win32_stat buffer overflow
|perl-win32stat-bo (15732)||High Risk|
Perl and ActivePerl, when running on Microsoft Windows platforms, are vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the win32_stat function. By creating a file with a long filename that ends in a back-slash (\) character, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system.
Download the latest version of Perl (5.8.4 or later), available from the ActiveState Web site. See References.
Apply the appropriate patch for this vulnerability, as listed in the iDEFENSE Security Advisory 04.05.04. See References.
- ActiveState Web site: Index of /gsar/APC.
- CIAC Information Bulletin O-130: Perl and ActivePerl win32_stat Buffer Overflow.
- iDEFENSE Security Advisory 04.05.04: Perl win32_stat Function Buffer Overflow Vulnerability .
- BID-10050: Perl win32_stat function Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2004-0377: Buffer overflow in the win32_stat function for (1) ActiveState's ActivePerl and (2) Larry Wall's Perl before 5.8.3 allows local or remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands via filenames that end in a backslash character.
- OSVDB ID: 4960: Perl / ActivePerl win32_stat Function Overflow
- US-CERT VU#722414: Perl vulnerable to buffer overflow in win32_stat()
- ActiveState ActivePerl 5.8
- ActiveState ActivePerl 5.8.1
- ActiveState ActivePerl 5.8.3
- Larry Wall Perl 5.8.0
- Larry Wall Perl 5.8.1
- Larry Wall Perl 5.8.3
Apr 05, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this