MPlayer and xine-lib RTSP RDT buffer overflow
|mplayer-rtsp-rdt-bo (16019)||High Risk|
MPlayer and xine-lib are vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking of user-supplied input. A remote attacker, in control of a malicious Real-Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) server, could send specially-crafted Real Data Transport (RDT) packets to a vulnerable client to overflow the buffer and cause the player to crash or execute arbitrary code on the victim's system.
Upgrade to the latest version (1.0pre4 or later), available from the MPlayer Web site. See References.
Upgrade to the latest version (1-rc4 or later), available from the xine Web site. See References.
For Slackware Linux:
Upgrade to the latest xine-lib package, as listed below. Refer to slackware-security Mailing List, Mon, 3 May 2004 13:07:44 -0700 (PDT) for more information. See References.
Slackware Linux 9.1 and -current: 1rc4-i686-1 or later
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- MPlayer Web site: Mplayer:HU _ The Movie Player for Linux.
- slackware-security Mailing List, Mon, 3 May 2004 13:07:44 -0700 (PDT): xine-lib update (SSA:2004-124-03).
- The xine-Project Security Advisory XSA-2004-3: Multiple vulnerabilities have being found and fixed in the Real-Time Streaming.
- xine Web site: xine - A Free Video Player.
- BID-10245: MPlayer/Xine-Lib Multiple RealRTSP Buffer Overrun Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2004-0433: Multiple buffer overflows in the Real-Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) client for (1) MPlayer before 1.0pre4 and (2) xine lib (xine-lib) before 1-rc4, when playing Real RTSP (realrtsp) streams, allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via (a) long URLs, (b) long Real server responses, or (c) long Real Data Transport (RDT) packets.
- GLSA-200405-24: MPlayer, xine-lib: vulnerabilities in RTSP stream handling
- OSVDB ID: 5723: MPlayer/xine-lib HTTP Parser Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 5724: MPlayer/xine-lib RTSP Session Negotiation Overflow
- OSVDB ID: 5725: MPlayer/xine-lib RealNetwork RDT Response Overflow
- Gentoo Linux
- MPlayer MPlayer 1.0pre1 - pre3try2
- Slackware Slackware Linux 9.1
- Slackware Slackware Linux current
- Xine xine-lib 1-beta1 - 1-rc3c
Apr 30, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this