Nessus nessus-adduser race condition
|nessus-adduser-race-condition (16768)||High Risk|
Nessus is vulnerable to a race condition in nessus-adduser, which allows users to add a nessusd user. If the TMPDIR environment variable is not configured, a local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to gain elevated privileges on the system.
Upgrade to the latest version of Nessus (2.0.12 or later), available from the Nessus Web site. See References.
For Gentoo Linux:
Upgrade to the latest version of Nessus (2.0.12 or later), as listed in GLSA 200408-11. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Nessus Web site: The Nessus Project: [Download].
- BID-10784: Nessus Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerabiliry
- CVE-2004-1445: A race condition in nessus-adduser in Nessus 2.0.11 and possibly earlier versions, if the TMPDIR environment variable is not set, allows local users to gain privileges.
- GLSA-200408-11: Nessus: adduser race condition vulnerability
- OSVDB ID: 8167: Nessus nessus-adduser Race Condition
- SA12127: Nessus "adduser" Race Condition Vulnerability
- Gentoo Linux
- Tenable Network Security Nessus 2.0.11
Jul 22, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this