vpopmail vsybase.c format string attack
|vpopmail-vsybase-format-string (17017)||High Risk|
Inter7 vpopmail (vchkpw) is vulnerable to a format string attack, caused by a vulnerability in the vsybase.c file. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability and possibly execute arbitrary code on the system or cause a denial of service.
No remedy available as of December 1, 2013.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Aug 17 2004 - 05:44:52 CDT: vpopmail <= 5.4.2 (sybase vulnerability).
- BID-10962: Inter7 Vpopmail Vsybase.c Multiple Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2004-2238: ** DISPUTED ** Format string vulnerability in vsybase.c in vpopmail 5.4.2 and earlier has unknown impact and attack vectors. NOTE: in a followup post, it was observed that the source code used constants that, when compiled, became static format strings. Thus this is not a vulnerability.
- OSVDB ID: 9147: vpopmail vsybase.c Format String
- Inter7 vpopmail (vchkpw) 5.4.2 and prior
Aug 17, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this