Net-Acct temporary file symlink attack
|net-acct-tmp-symlink (17283)||Medium Risk|
Net-Acct creates temporary files insecurely. A local attacker could create a symbolic link from a temporary file to an arbitrary file, which could allow the attacker to create or overwrite files on the system.
Apply the net-acct-notempfiles patch, available from the Net-Acct Web page. See References.
For Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody):
Upgrade to the latest net-acct package, as listed below. Refer to DSA-559-1 for more information. See References.
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody): 0.71-5woody1 or later
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Net-Acct Web page: Net-Acct.
- BID-11125: Net-Acct Symbolic Link Vulnerability
- CVE-2004-0851: The (1) write_list and (2) dump_curr_list functions in Net-Acct before 0.71 allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on temporary files.
- DSA-559: net-acct -- insecure temporary file
- OSVDB ID: 9750: Net-Acct Insecure Temporary File Creation
- SA12476: Net-Acct Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- Debian Debian Linux 3.0
- Ulrich Callmeier Net-Acct 0.71 and prior
Sep 07, 2004
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this